Abbie’s birth story: Part 1

16 Jun

Sorry I have been so M.I.A lately. When summer time rolls around, it seems like my to-do list gets packed and my “me time” is pretty much non-existent. Especially since Abbie is scooting/ crawling EVERYWHERE now! My days are very full lately. I usually sit down when she goes to bed around 10pm and wonder where the heck my day has gone! Is the “mom life” always like this from here out? You experienced mamas, let me know your take on it 🙂

Anyways…with Abbie’s half birthday coming up (heck yes, we celebrate those!), I figured I would share her birth story with those of you who haven’t read it. Be warned, its long! 

Our due date came and went…we found ourselves at 41 weeks 6 days and we were running out of patience! On December 19th, we had a 2pm appointment with the midwife to see if I was dilated at all. By Florida law, we could not deliver at the birth center if we were at 42 weeks and not progressing in active labor or if we were below 4cm dilated.

I did not realize it at the time, but around 11am on the 19th my contractions had started (my mom and I were at Taco Bell eating lunch haha)…I had no idea because it was all back labor and it just felt like a back ache that was coming and going every 15 minutes. At the midwife appointment, I was only 1 cm dilated and so they decided to sweep my membranes to see if that might get things going more quickly. We sadly made a backup plan to meet there the next morning (the 42 week mark) at 8am to see where my progress was at…but things weren’t looking promising.  If I wasn’t progressing, I would have to transfer out of their care and go to Shands Hospital to get induced. We contemplated just sitting at home, waiting to go into labor on our own, and THEN walking into Shands. Since we weren’t sure if my backaches were contractions or not, we didn’t know if that would be too risky. We decided to trust the midwives’ advice and the plan that they gave us.

My “backaches” continued to come every 10-15 minutes throughout the day, but I still wasn’t convinced that I was in labor since I had never heard of someone having only back labor. That evening, I went to get an adjustment at the chiropractor I even resorted to taking castor oil! (big mistake..)

As the night went on, my back labor contractions were getting more intense and painful…we knew that something was happening and I was so excited! Maybe we would dilate enough through the night and be able to have the medication-free water birth that we had been praying for! We called Cee (our doula who was a God send!) and she came over to help us out. I forget what time because everything was pretty hazy, but I had been laboring for at least 12 hours. It was late at night.  I was bouncing on the birthing ball, going for walks, etc to get labor going- little did I know labor WAS going, it just wasn’t a regular labor with contractions in my belly. Even though Cee was there helping us and these contractions in my back were getting painful, I still wasn’t convinced that I was in labor. Was it supposed to feel like this? Shouldn’t I be having pains in my stomach?

The two most prominent memories of that night were  1.) Puking my brains out due to that stupid castor oil.  I was throwing up so violently I thought that my water had broken…but realized I had just peed my pants! Not a very glamorous side of labor lol. 2.) Walking with Justin up and down our street at 3am and stopping every few steps to have a contraction. I was relaxing through them at this point.

I continued to get through the contractions (all in my back, by the way. I don’t think I had more than 5 contractions in my stomach the whole time) and we decided to meet one of the midwives, Katie, at the birth center around 6am to get an idea of my progress. We were so excited! All I wanted to do was get in the tub at the birth center and have this baby!

Justin packed our birth bags in the car and then we were on our way. Katie checked me and to everyone’s disappointment, I was only 3cm dilated. I had painful back labor for almost 20 hours and I was only THREE cm dilated?! I was distraught. Why were our prayers not being answered? Why couldn’t we just have a natural childbirth without intervention like we wanted? Katie called the midwife on call (Hope) who was at a home birth and she said we could go home to labor for a few hours more, then come back to the birth center to be checked yet again. Okay…crunch time, baby! Let’s dilate!

Cee went home to get some rest and we decided that we would call her after we saw Hope to let her know what the plan was. Justin and I raced back home (all the while having back contractions about 2 min apart) to labor some more. We tried to rest but couldn’t since the contractions were so painful. At this point I was so discouraged and I was mentally trying to prepare myself for being in a hospital  “just in case” so I wouldn’t have a nervous breakdown (I am NOT a fan of white coats, needles, or hospitals in general).

Around 11am, we met up with Hope and I was “3 maybe a 4”. My progress just wasn’t fast enough and the midwives had done all they could legally do for us…it was time to drive to the hospital.  Cee came to meet us at the birth center and then we were off to Shands. 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: